Saturday, January 19, 2008

They Stole My Idea!

I'm all about efficiency, and many of you that know me have heard me talk about my "invention" to help me be more efficient. It seems I can never find time to exercise, even though I have a treadmill and a home gym in my house. My invention was to build a desk that attaches to my treadmill so that I can work on the laptop at the same time I'm walking. Think about it .. I have a wireless internet connection .. my printer is hooked up through the wireless connection .. so I have everything I need. It's a great idea and it really works well. At first I thought there might be too much vibration, but it turns out that the desk I built is very stable. I just have to remember to put wrist bands on so the sweat doesn't run onto my keyboard.

So, a while back Craig Berntson sent me a link to a treadmill desk for sale on the market. There wasn't much information, and nowhere was a price. You had to send away for information, which always leaves me thinking the price is way too much.


Move forward to last night when I was reading the recent issue of Reader's Digest. They have an article called "The New Slow Burn At Work" and it shows a picture of a treadmill desk offered by Steelcase called "The Walkstation". Now for those of you that don't know, western Michigan is known for furniture manufacturers. Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Haworthe are all here. I think a spy overhead me talking about this idea and ran back to their boss at Steelcase and presented the idea as their own.

I will admit their version looks much more professional than mine and offers more workspace. However, it comes with a price tag of $4000. Mine cost me less than $500 for the treadmill and the desk combined!!

I should have patented the idea! Darn .. my financial independence has been dashed again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy, Actually the idea for the treadmill desk came out of Mayo Clinic. Ofcourse it was not the first and by all estimates it was the most expensive but it was based on some revolutionary work by Dr. Levine at Mayo. He found in a 10 year study that lean people move on average 150 minutes more during the day than overweight people and burn 350 calories more a day. This inspired him to get his patients moving and guess what? It works. There is another alternative coming out soon called TrekDesk at www.trekdesk.com. They have assembled some interesting information about why we need to walk continuously thru the day.