Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gotcha: More on the Data Group Bug

I've been trying to see if I can come up with a ReportListener that will somehow generically workaround the serious Data Group bug I previously blogged about (Data Group Bug) In the process, I tried to come up with a really good test report to make sure I'm doing it right. I created a report with 3 data groups so I can be sure my code handles multiple data groups.

Well .. let's just say I haven't even gotten to the part of writing code yet. While developing a test report, I came across ANOTHER bug related to data groups. What I'm seeing is a gap on the report after the 3rd data group header prints, but not every time. It only happens for the third data group, when it immediately follows the second data group header. Oh .. and it doesn't happen the first time for the set.

Figure 1 shows how the report looks on page 1, which is correct. Figure 2 shows what happens on subsequent pages, which is incorrect.


Figure 1 - The first page - without any gap.


Figure 2 - Subsequent pages - with a big gap!

Obviously, this whole data group issue is getting worse and worse. I'm afraid to keep working on the "workaround" code. Who knows what other bugs I'll uncover! I sure hope Microsoft fixes this! Maybe we should ALL flood them with emails about these report bugs!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy!
I think you could report the bugs at MS Connect site and ask the community to vote on them to make MS fix it ASAP.
If you want more details on how to report the bugs, please take a look at this:
http://www.foxite.com/archives/0000149591.htm
Thanks.